Saturday, June 04, 2011

Working on a Sketch Group




I am so excited! I was driving to work when I started thinking of a large community of sketchbook artists that were brought together by Danny Gregory that started Every Day Matters which spawned books, blogs, groups, pod casts etc. I joined an off shoot group based in LA area. I loved it and drove all the way to LA 3 or 4 times to meet up with that group. One of the times Danny himself was there! I loved those times so much! I always try to sketch, but it was so epic to do it in a group! So I decided: why wish I was still doing that? I should make it happen. So that is what I am attempting to do.
I am starting a group and a Yahoo Group site to coordinate it.


Here is what I am going to put on the site:

Valley Sketch Group

Valley sketchers is a group for people who enjoy getting together to draw and sketch in the beautiful Santa Ynez Valley and it's adjacent areas. I hope to create a friendly community designed to encourage and _grow_ creativity. Artists of all levels are welcome to come.

The average sketch outing will start off with an optional meet-up at Valley Books in Solvang to fuel up with coffee drinks or tea, _group-up_ at our desired sketch location, around 2 hours of sketching, and an optional, yet recommended, meet-up afterward to have some show and tell.

For those not familiar with sketch booking: we hope to do multiple sketches of structures, landscapes and social scenes. These are, on average, quick and loose although there are no wrong ways to do this. I like to get in around 5 sketches in the 2 hours with one or two of them in full color, with a bit more detail than the others. For some this might be an experiment in freeing up your style where as some might might want to stay at the location longer than the suggested time. It is all up to you. I am just hoping to provide the _stage_ to induce creativity to flow and this is one of my favorite things to do. So come out and join me in this beautiful area rich with things to draw!

This Yahoo Group site will mostly be used to coordinate time and place of get-togethers, but feel free to use it to share information and sketchbook pages.



What to bring and other suggestions

Sketchbook- media appropriate.
Some of your favorite pens, pencils, colored pencils, travel watercolor kit, or any other of your favorite mediums you are comfortable with.
Pack light as we will be walking around a bit and you will be carrying all your supplies.
Some places we go will have ample places to sit, where others will not. Consider bringing something to sit on that is easily carried if you are concerned.
A large brimmed hat and sunblock on is a good idea for hot, or sunny days as there might not be adequate shade.
I feel a camera is a great thing to have to use if you want to work more later, as color reference, or just to record some good views/times.

First Sketch Day June 25

9:30- Optional meet-up for coffee/tea at Valley Books in Solvang
10:00-12:00 Meet at Mission Santa Inez parking lot by the field
12:15- Optional (and recommended) meet-up at Valley Books for show+tell

I hope to get this together by Monday. I will post the link soon.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Alex said...

Love the sketches!